princewally's world

Monday, April 17, 2006, 12:43 PM - The Adventures of Jesse the Wonderpoodle
We awoke the next morning to find it raining pretty heavy. Our guides (Drew and Ricky) showed up about fifteen minutes later. After going through the formalities and safety rules, They said they had no quarrels with going out in the rain if we didn’t. I wasn’t so sure, being that sugar melts in water.

Since we were the earliest hunting group for that weekend we got choice of the bay dogs. One nice thing about hunting in the rain is you can move without a sound, but then so can every thing else. Now for the bad, the rain was washing away all the scent trails so we’d have to be almost right on top of the hogs for the dogs to pick up the scent. They did pick up ones scent and luckily it was feeling rather lazy and didn’t try to run (the hog weight about four hundred twenty-five pounds and all three dogs combined weighed close to a hundred pounds). Ben shot that one and lucky for him it made the record book with a combined tusk length of nineteen and a quarter inches (the tusk length is measured from the exposed tip of the tooth to the base down in the jaw). I got what I was after, one that was good eating.

One week after returning to Minnesota I was on my way to Florida for a gator hunt. The hunt was nothing like I had foreseen, we didn’t go out in air boats, or go stomping through the swamp. Instead we went to a drainage ditch (I guess it doesn’t matter were you go if the game your after is there). As for the method of catching the gators was a deep sea fishing pole with a weighted spoon hook being anchored with twenty pound test line. You’d think that a gator would break the line with little effort, but when a gator submerges it becomes neutrally buoyant (no weight). Once you’ve got then snagged they put up a fight like a big fish. “real them in, let’em run, real them in, let’em run” well you get the point. During the course of the day I helped catch and release five smaller gators (we put them in to a safer area. I was there and that’s all they would let me do other than run the video camera).

When they finally caught one that was of keepable size (six and a half feet) they let me harvest it with a knife (after they taped its mouth and tied its feet. Talk about ooooh big daddy I’m just a tough guy. Can you feel my excitement). Upon returning home with no new scares or even decent story to tell (unless it’s a group of young think their tough punks, then you know I did the crocodile hunter jump on its back put it in a head lock and drag it through snake infested waters etc. etc.).

I got back to work with three days before the x-mas vacation and on the last day before the break the company was having an employee appreciation lunchen at the work place. The night shift was told to come in early so we’d be sure to get some food. Well they met us at the door that day and told us to go clean out our toolboxes because the company was laying off. 90% of the night shift, 60% of the day shift, and all the weekend shift. To add insult to injury they told us to when we’re done cleaning out our toolboxes to come in and have lunch with the ones that are staying.

And that concludes the year 2001

Thursday, April 13, 2006, 08:50 AM - Life
This is the first email forward I've had in a long time that is actually new to me.


I never quite figured out why the sexual urge of men & women differ so much. And I never have figured out the whole Venus and Mars thing. I have never figured out why men think with their head and women with their heart. I have never figured out why the sexual desire gene gets thrown into a state of turmoil, when it hears the words 'I do.'

Here's an example of what I mean: One evening last week, my wife and I were getting into bed. Well, the passion starts to heat up, and she eventually says 'I don't feel like it, I just want you to hold me.'

I said 'WHAT????!!! What was that?!'

So she says the words that every husband on the planet dreads hearing...'You're just not in touch with my emotional needs as a woman enough for me to satisfy your physical needs as a man.' She then responded to my puzzled look by saying, 'Can't you just love me for who I am and not what I do for you in the bedroom?'

Realizing that nothing was going to happen that night I went to sleep. The very next day I opted to take the day off from work to spend time with her. We went out to a nice lunch and then went shopping at a big, unnamed dept. store.

I walked around with her while she tried on several different very expensive outfits. She couldn't decide which one to take so I told her we'll just buy them all. She wanted new shoes to compliment her new clothes, so I said lets get a pair for each outfit. We went on to the jewelry dept. where she picked out a pair of diamond earrings.

Let me tell you...she was so excited. She must have thought I was one wave short of a shipwreck. I started to think she was testing me because she asked for a tennis bracelet when she doesn't even know how to play tennis. I think I threw her for a loop when I said, 'That's fine, honey.'

She was almost nearing sexual satisfaction from all of the excitement. Smiling with excited anticipation she finally said, 'I think this is all dear, let's go to the cashier.'

I could hardly contain myself when I blurted out, 'No honey, I don't feel like it.'

Her face just went completely blank as her jaw dropped with a baffled 'WHAT???!!!'

I then said, 'Really honey! I just want you to HOLD this stuff for awhile.. You're just not in touch with my financial needs as a man enough for me to satisfy your shopping needs as a woman.' And just when she had this look like she was going to kill me, I added, 'Why can't you just love me for who I am and not for the things I buy you?'

Friday, April 7, 2006, 11:38 PM - Random
According to MSN Search, I am ranked #3 for people searching for 'nipple slippen'.

Friday, April 7, 2006, 07:57 PM - Heroes

Amid chaos of blasts, a selfless act of valor

Corpsman ignored his own wounds to aid others

By Rick Rogers

April 7, 2006

In a war marred by prisoner-abuse scandals and rife with political wrangling, Nathaniel R. Leoncio’s heroic actions in Iraq are the pure stuff of legend.

Leoncio, a 24-year-old corpsman, received the Bronze Star yesterday at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton.

The Navy petty officer third class was on patrol with Marines in southern Ramadi on Oct. 4 when they were struck by a series of roadside bombs. The explosives killed one Marine and seriously injured three other men, including Leoncio.

At least two of the bombs detonated under the 6-ton Humvee that carried Leoncio, flipping it upside down and on top of him, severing his right leg just below the knee.

Although his right thighbone was shattered and he was bleeding internally, Leoncio refused to be evacuated. He ignored his wounds and cared for a severely injured Marine, likely saving the man’s life.

Lt. Bradley Watson, who was riding with Leoncio and would later write the recommendation letter for the corpsman’s medal from his hospital bed, said: “It was one of the most outstanding combat actions I saw, if not the most outstanding. I saw my two combat tours of Iraq. I have no hesitation in saying that.

“Doc Leoncio knew he was very seriously injured,” Watson said. “He was spitting up blood, he had shrapnel in his stomach, and he had lost so much blood. He had every right to be worried about his own injures, but he wasn’t.

Amid the chaos of the attack, Watson yelled for a corpsman.

“And (Leoncio) said, ’Why are you calling for a corpsman when you have one right here?‘ ” Watson recalled. “It was funny and inspiring at the same time.”

So he wouldn’t bleed to death, Leoncio calmly told a Marine to tie a tourniquet on his injured leg. As he gave the instructions, Leoncio treated a platoon commander who was bleeding profusely from a fist-sized shrapnel wound in his hip.

Capt. Rory Quinn, who was riding in a Humvee behind Leoncio’s, described what it took to get the corpsman to leave the scene.

“We had to lie to Doc and tell him that all the Marines had been taken off the battlefield before he would allow himself to be moved,” said Quinn, who knew that a Marine was still trapped in a wrecked Humvee.

“He won’t brag on himself,” Quinn added, “so I have to do it for him.”

Ten minutes elapsed before Leoncio believed that all the injured were receiving proper care. Then he allowed others to evacuate him. He was sent to Germany and then the United States for long-term care and rehabilitation.

Yesterday, Leoncio balanced on two crutches and a single leg as Lt. Gen. John Sattler, commander of the Camp Pendleton-based 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, pinned a Bronze Star with Combat Distinguishing Device above the corpsman’s heart.

Dozens of people attended the ceremony, including about 20 of Leoncio’s relatives and friends, some of whom had flown in from his native land, the Philippines.

Leoncio seemed embarrassed by the attention.

The ceremony “was a little too big and unnecessary. I wish they just sent it to me in the mail,” he joked.

“As everyone comes up to me and thanks me for my service, I want to thank all of you for your service,” said Leoncio, whose face is dotted by gray scars that he calls “shrapnel tattoos.”

“I don’t remember what I did,” he continued, “but I know that anyone in my unit would’ve helped me out like I helped them out.”

The Oct. 4 attack occurred during Operation Bowie, in which about 1,200 U.S. and Iraqi troops searched the outskirts of Ramadi for insurgents and arms caches.

The Marines of Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment – based at Twentynine Palms – were moving toward their designated patrol area when they were hit from the rear by an improvised explosive device. A few seconds later, at least two blasts hit the lead Humvee, which carried Leoncio, Watson and other Marines.

Last week, the Lima Company returned from Iraq. Leoncio, who was wearing a prosthetic leg, was there to welcome them home.

“He was standing on two legs and it was very good to see him,” said Watson, executive officer for the 3rd Battalion.

Thirteen U.S. corpsmen have died in combat during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to the Web site

In addition to serving in wars and other foreign conflicts, corpsmen have responded to natural disasters, military accidents and other peacetime emergencies. They belong to the Navy Hospital Corps.

Currently, the Corps’ 23,000 regular and 6,000 reserve members are assigned to naval hospitals, clinics, surface ships and submarines worldwide.

Leoncio, who lives in Temecula, plans to pursue a career in the medical field after finishing his military service. He said he has undergone “a ton” of surgeries and has a few more to go.

Leoncio is a special find, said Command Master Chief Richard Moriarity, the top enlisted man at Camp Pendleton’s Field Medical Service School, where corpsmen train to accompany Marines for war duty.

“There have only been maybe 50 Bronze Stars awarded to corpsmen during the Iraq war. This award is rare because it is a combat award and the criteria for such a high award is very strict,” Moriarity said.

As Leoncio leaned on his crutches, a red carpet rolled out before him, 90 future corpsmen dressed in their summer whites filed by. All of them shook his hand, and many of them had a look of awe on their faces.


Sunday, April 2, 2006, 06:13 PM - Politics
Please read this and don't miss the comments.

That’s hysterical.
MSNBC will have story after story about how Bush is bad because:
He invaded a country without UN approval
There were no al Quaeda terrorists in Iraq.
Heck, there were no connections between al Quaeda and Iraq.
There were no WMD in Iraq.

Now, they have a story where they bash Bush for
not attacking a sovereign nation without UN approval because there were al Quaeda terrorists making WMD there.

You would think the double-think necessary to hold those two opinions would make their heads explode.
You could hope that too.
Oh well.

Friday, March 31, 2006, 11:12 AM - The Adventures of Jesse the Wonderpoodle
Luckily I had six weeks before the muzzle loader season opened to tend my wounds. On opening morning it was raining which is always a good combination (wet powder and primer caps). We didn’t see much that day. That night I took my gun (a .50 caliber CVA hawken named Maybellene after the Chuck Berry song, Because there are some days when I can’t miss and other days that I wouldn’t be able to hit the broad side of a barn if I stood in it) out and oiled it to keep it from rusting.

The next morning the rain had turned to snow giving us about two inches of fresh snow. On the first drive I was one of the standers, upon removing Maybellene from the gun case I noticed that the hammer was not working the way it should, it seemed to have a drag from something (the rain from the previous day had made the wood swell causing the drag). I started working it back-n-forth to loosen it up, it wasn’t helping. Then I saw a doe running through the trees, I pulled up and click, the hammer wasn’t striking the cap hard enough to ignite it. I pulled the hammer back a second time and click, the same process happened with six more does that just about ran over me (I was standing on a main trail).

Then I saw him or more I saw his antlers bouncing through the trees. I pulled up and waited for him to come out into the open. When he came out he was at a full run, but at the same the next stander in line (about a hundred yards) took a shot at a doe but misfired. The misfire caused the buck to stop not more than forty yards from me standing broad side and he was a beauty (a ten pointer that was shot on the last day of the season). He just stood there watching the other stander, I pulled up and click, again I pulled the hammer back with no better results and again one more time nothing. I grabbed my knife and popped the cap of the nipple and was fumbling in my pocket trying to find my lighter (to use the flame to ignite the powder load) when he casually hopped across the opening into the trees and was gone.

By this time I was very angry, I grabbed Maybellene by the barrel and was half a breath away from smashing her on the closest tree, but no she’s been good to me till now. In an attempted to not piss my self off any more, I set Maybellene up against the tree walked ten steps from it pulled out a candy bar and sat down to count the deer that ran across. No more did imagine that! I did get two, one later that day and one the following Saturday.

The next weekend a friend (Ben) and myself took off for Tennessee to hunt wild hog, a trip we’d planned since June. He is an ex-military and needs a time frame type person. So in planning he was going to drive and we needed to leave at such-n-such time so we’d have an E.T.A. of such-n-such time. Anyway we got to Clark Range Hunting Lodge a half day early with nothing to do. The brochure said they had a sauna and there was a young lady working in the taxidermy shop, so I went over and asked her (Georgia) what lodge had the sauna in it. She told me that they had turned the sauna into a closet, then she said that she was going into town to pick up a friend and asked if we’d like to go along. I said that I’d have to talk it over with Ben. We both agreed since we didn’t have any thing else to do.

Then I went back to tell Georgia that we could go along. She looked at me with a what are you talking about look, a complete blank expression (she’d already forgot what she’d asked). I said to go with you to pick up your friend, the words must have been moving in slow motion because it took her an awkwardly long time to register what I had said. Then she got really excited and quickly finished cleaning up. We all got into the car. She was into the trouble before the engine was fully running and tore out of the camp site (the lodge) without letting off the gas. I was in the passenger seat with one hand on to the O’shit handle, one holding the seat and one foot braced against the dashboard. She blew a stop sign and flew up the hill then double stepping on the brakes before turning into a driveway were a drunk young lady came out (not the friend she was going to pick up. We’ll refer to this young lady as Crazy lady).

Crazy lady staggered out onto the porch and asked in a drunken southern twang slur “wh what ya all doing?” Georgia quickly told her we were going into town to get her friend and asked if she felt up to coming along. Crazy lady responded with a teetering o.k., she grabbed her coat and got in. Georgia tore out of the driveway and was just flyen down the Tennessee backhills road with a beer in one hand an apple in the other while jabbering over her shoulder. I’m over in the passenger seat go’en "Aaah, you want ta watch the road there!"

A short while later Crazy lady put her feet up on the center console and asked “ar aren’t mmmy feet purty ?”. I looked at them, then to her and said yes your feet are very pretty! She responded with “rub my ffeet “. I looked back at her and said “WHAT!”, no I’m not going to rub your feet. She then asked “aarn’t my ffeet purty!”. I turned to look her in the eye and said yes your feet are pretty and no I’m not going to rub them. We then handed her a beer and she sat back and was quite.

When we got to town to get their friend we had to go to the courthouse because she was just getting out of jail. She got in and started complaining that she’d had to spend a week in jail, her boyfriend has been on the run for ten days, her roommates boyfriend been on the run for five days, and her roommate’s been hiding in the trees down by the gravel pit for three days and figure out why they keep getting busted when they live right across the road from a cop. By this time I was looking out the window thinking damn those are some sexy trees, I wouldn’t mind if we stopped so I could get a closer look at them. At the same time Crazy lady put her feet back on the center console and asked “aren’t my feet pretty”. This time Georgia chipped in by telling her that she had some cream for her feet and handed the vial to me. I took the vial not knowing what it was and said “what’s this”? NO NO don’t give me that and put it back in the cup holder.

Crazy lady asked again “aren’t my feet pretty”, I turned looked her in the eye and said “yes your feet are pretty, no I’m not going to rub them stop asking”. Crazy lady then nudged me with her foot and asked aren’t me feet pretty. I turned to her saying I’m not rubbing your feet! She then asked “why do they stink” and put them up in my face. I smacked her foot down just to have it put right back up there. In an attempt to piss her off I put her foot in a headlock and started flicking her toes. The attempt backfired, the only thing it accomplished was to make her even more frisky than she was before. Upon arriving back at the lodge Ben went to get his cigarettes while I was saying goodbye to Georgia and Crazy lady when Georgia asked if she could have my shirt. I told her that I’d give it to her on Sunday before we left. Crazy lady jumped in saying “you don’t have to wait see” and pulled her shirt up over her head. I looked at her and said “lovely” turned to Georgia and said on Sunday before we leave, tipped my hat to both of them and walk back to the lodge we were staying in, walked right past Ben who was standing in the rain smoking.

I closed and locked the door behind me. Ben heard the bolt latch and said open the door, I responded with not until she’s gone, and turned on the t.v.


Thursday, March 30, 2006, 07:53 AM - The Adventures of Jesse the Wonderpoodle
In October we went on our yearly elk hunt and camp was a lot of fun, every body was sick from one thing or another and the weather was not helping. First it would rain then turn to snow with a lovely biting wind, then the sun would come out and melt all the snow making it just slimy. I don’t know if you’ve ever been in the mountains in Colorado but the dirt is a thin form of clay, So when it gets wet its all kinds a fun. Well it went on like this for four days. All the slippen-n-sliden was not helping my ribs that were still healing from a sky diving accident.

But on opening morning we got about an inch of fresh snow which would help in finding the elk. At about an hour before sunrise I climbed the mountain (hill) on the other side of the river where I’ve seen elk in previous years. Talk about being cold! It’s not that I wasn’t dressed for the weather it was the climb up the mountain side that got me dripping in sweat and then having to sit and wait for the sunrise that made me completely miserable. As the sun rose the cold was almost set in to joints and I had to start walking to keep warm, I stumbled across a fresh set of tracks and the hunt was on. My temperature rose to an expectable level. As I slowly made my way down the game trail following the tracks and soon it was two sets and then three. Then I found a pile of droppings that were still steamen, meanen I was close. As I came up a draw I spooked them out of there beds. I was bringing the rifle to my shoulder and putting my left leg forward to stabiles, I stepped on a dead fall (fallen tree) that was baried under the snow, lost my footing slipped and fell flat on my back knocking the wind out of me and recraking my rib as I started to slide down the hillside. Once I caught myself and my breath (it was hiding in a squirrels nest) I started out after the elk at a steady military pace chanting “if I can still see your tracks I ownn you”. After chasing them for three hours through every nook-n-cranny before giving up and heading for the gulch (know as the black hole to the locals). where the elk like to go during the daylight hours.

But on the way there, four miles from were I was on the mountain, I got a cramp in my leg that hurt more when I tried to massage it out then when I walked on it. So on I hiked for the gulch, by the time I got there the sun was already starting to set and being that I had not been down in it before I figured it would be in my best interest to wait to explore it until I had a full day to play around. On the way back to camp I ran into one of the other members of our hunting group and we got to talken about who seen what and were. Because of the snow and wind (making visibility limited) we didn’t see the herd of mulies (mule deer) until they were on top of us (no bucks and not in season). During the course of the season, I didn’t see another elk but I did have a mulie doe playing tag with me. I was climbing a hillside and had just crested the top when I seen her and froze, not wanting her to take off at a dead run sounding the alarm. She looked up from whatever she was eating and saw me, but wasn’t really sure what I was just pretty sure I didn’t belong there. She took a few steps so that her head was behind a tree (the old I can’t see you, you can’t see me theory. A lot like a child would do). Then quickly popping her head out from behind the tree and stared at me with the “I’m pretty sure your not a tree but still don’t know what you are”. I didn’t move, just watched as she slowly came out from behind the tree and very casually made a shallow arc around me before stopping behind some brush where her vision was shaky at best, I took two pain stakenly slow steps. She seen the movement and quickly stepped out from behind the brush to get a better look. But by then I had already froze again and doing my best not to laugh. She began a slow and very nervous approach, trying to get some scent to help her figure out what I am. She all the sudden started to hop away then stopped and snapped her head back around to see if I had moved, I hadn’t. She then walked down the hill side and disappeared from sight, so I started to slip through the trees trying to stalk elk and heard a noise behind me, turned around to see what the noise was and saw the mulie doe trying to sneak up on me. She stopped and starred at me for awhile before turning and walking casually away. With the weather being so unhelpful, where you did have to wear a lot of heavy clothing in the mornings to keep warm and then have to shed it all off by noon was making things difficult because I didn’t sit. I’m just about always on the move, so every time I shed I’d have to hide it some place and then go back and get it before I went back to camp at the end of the day. It doesn’t sound that bad except that I average ten miles a day hiking with out having to backtrack.

On one day I was only a mile from camp and decided to go back and dump my heavy clothes. When I got to camp the D.O.W. (department of wildlife) was sitting there waiting, with the weather being so crappy, my ribs hurting, a mildly sprained ankle and having blisters on top of blisters my mood was less than welcome. I had just got in to camp and they approached and demanded to see my license, with my foul mood I snapped and said “who the hell are you to be looking at my license”. They came back with we’re the D.O.W. and if you don’t show us your license it’s a two thousand dollar fine and were going to take your rifle. My rifle is a custom made .338 Win. Mag. with an answer products Inc. recoil system and a leupold scope, in short the rifle cost more than most of my pickups. You’d sure been surprised at how fast my mood changed, I even offered them some snacks for their troubles. The weather finally made up its mind on what it was going to do and as far as I was concerned it was a good change. The sky was a deep crayon sky blue with out a cloud in the sky. And as hurt’n as I was I climbed up a ridge overlooking a small creek (from were I was sitting it looked like a pee stream) and put my back to a brush so anything coming from behind me would have to leave itself out in the open before they would know I was there. To add a sour note to this beautiful day, the weight of the stress from events that took place just before leaving for Colorado were starting to take there toll. I started writing a letter, while writing the letter I heard some noise off to my right and looked over to see seven mulies, two yearling fawns, four year old does and the mother. The yearlings would run down the slop like a young child saying “look at me, look at me, I can fly” and jump up and soar down the hillside before hitting the uneven ground and going for a tumble. They’d get up, shake the cobwebs from there ears, and do it again until they reached the bottom were they waited for mom (seeing this brought a smile to my tired body) to catch up. They then ran over to the creek with “look I’m on one side” then jump to the other “now I’m on the other”. Mom just walked up shaking her head with that old “if I find the one that did this to me I’m going to rip it off”. Upon finishing the letter the weight was removed and I relaxed, I relaxed to much, so much in fact that I fell asleep with the sun beating down on my face (it was the only part of me exposed). When I woke up two hours later the damage had already been done. My lips were so sun burnt that I had no feeling in them, it was a week later before I had any feelings in them.

That's Chapter 4

Back Next